– the main means of mass communication (television, radio, newspapers etc) that gives informations to its audience.
Purpose of media
– to inform
– to persuade
– to entertain
We know that the word “genre” is only used in the music industry but it is also used in the media industry. Media genres are the classifications, styles, or category of media.
- Fiction – these are media that tells stories that are imaginary or not true. ex. The little prince- fiction book, Harry Potter
2. Advertising – these are media that tells short messages that grab your attentions and use emotions to persuade a person to buy a product.
Ex. TV ADS, billboards
3. Infomercial – these are media messages that combine advertising with information, telling you how a product works and why you should buy it.
4. Talk show – these are media messages that feature people talking about their things that interest them.
Ex. Ellen show, Gandang Gabi Vice
5. News – these are media messages about things that happened recently in our community or the world.
Ex. TV PATROL, CNN NEWS
6. Documentary – these are media messages that inform issues about history, culture or society.
Ex. National geographic
7. Sports – these are media messages that are about sport events.
News writers are also know as journalist. A journalist is the one who writes news for newspapers and radio broadcasting or prepares a news to be broadcast in media.